Car Accidents Are Often Unavoidable, But If You Or A Loved One Are Involved In One, Patrick Marshall Law Can Help
Fortunately, most of us go about our days without worrying about what to do if you’re involved in a car accident. However, these accidents happen every day, and hiring an experienced attorney when they do can make all the difference. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), in 2019, there were 856 fatal motor vehicle accidents in Alabama alone.
Even exceptionally safe drivers often can’t protect themselves from negligent driving by others on the roadways. Although we are unable to prevent car accidents, Patrick Marshall Law can help if you or a loved one have been involved in one.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Birmingham
It helps to know the most common causes of car accidents so you can take the necessary steps to avoid them. Some of the common causes include:
- Speeding. Speeding has become practically institutionalized on our roadways. In fact, if you’re driving at the speed limit, other drivers become annoyed, tailgate you, and pass you aggressively. It’s best to simply ignore this and let them pass you if you’re able to do so safely.
- Impaired Driving. People have, do, and will always drive when they’re intoxicated. Keep an eye out for telltale signs like weaving, driving too slow, accelerating or decelerating erratically, tailgating, barely missing objects and curbs, stopping without cause, or erratic braking. When you see this behavior, get as far away from these drivers as possible and call 911.
- Distracted Driving. Careless drivers have too many distractions, including cell phone use, texting while driving, eating, reaching for dropped objects, and engaging with passengers. Avoid these drivers as well.
- Unsafe Lane Changes. Drivers in a hurry often weave in and out of lanes at an excessive speed. Just move to the right and lane and let them get well ahead of you.
- Inclement Weather. Driving in bad weather means everyone should slow down. Roads become slippery, especially in areas with little annual rainfall, as the rain mixes with the excessive oil on the roads.
- Night driving. Be sure your eye exams are up-to-date, and if you need driving glasses, use them. Don’t use high beams when you see approaching traffic.
- Road rage. Don’t engage or even meet the eyes of an enraged driver. Instead, simply pull over and let them pass.
How Patrick Marshall Law Can Help If You’ve Been Involved in a Car Accident
Many car accidents are avoidable; some are not. Regardless, if you’ve been involved in one, let an experienced car accident attorney at Patrick Marshall Law help. We handle your legal matters so you can focus on recovering from your injuries. Remember, Contact us even before you talk to any insurance company to ensure your legal claims are protected.