MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS IN ALABAMA
It’s no secret that motorcycles are more dangerous to use when compared to an automobile. Often these accidents result in the riders being seriously injured or killed. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are 26 times more likely to die in a crash than car passengers, and 5 times more likely to be injured.
Awareness and preparedness are vital aspects of motorcycle safety. Motorcyclists need to understand and prepare for the unique dangers they face on the road. Some of the most common conditions that contribute to motorcycle accidents are driver blind spots, left-hand turns, limited visibility, inexperienced or intoxicated drivers, and unforeseen road hazards.
Motorcycle accidents have a higher fatality rate than car accidents because motorcycles lack many safety features found in cars. Likewise, even if a motorcycle accident isn’t fatal, affected motorcyclists face a much higher chance of sustaining debilitating or lifelong injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, paralysis, or loss of a limb. These injuries can be life-altering and often come with steep medical expenses.
Regardless of how safe you are, there’s always the chance of getting injured when riding a motorcycle. If that happens, you need an experienced motorcycle injury attorney on your side to ensure that you get all the resources required to recover compensation on your behalf.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident:
- Call the Police: Make sure you file a police report to document the accident. When speaking with the police, be sure not to apologize which can be seen as an admissible of guilt.
- Exchange Information: Be sure to get the other driver(s) insurance information, contract information, and anything else that may be helpful later on.
- Take Notes on How the Accident Happened: It is very important to document what happened while it’s still fresh in your mind. This includes any injuries you sustained. Plan to visit your doctor after the accident for a full check up! Often, injuries can appear much later after the accident and seeing your doctor not only documents your injuries for your claim but ensures that you are receiving the proper care to recover as quickly as possible.
- Call You Insurance Company: Be sure to take the necessary steps to properly file your claim. But do not sign anything or make any statement before speaking with your attorney!
- Call Patrick Marshall Law. Acting fast is critical to recovering for your injuries.
Contact us today to see how we can help clients put their motorcycle accidents in the rearview mirror.